Murder Mystery Party Kits by Merchant Milani can be done virtually through Zoom (App). The parties are just as fun virtually as they are in person and are a great way to bond with friends and family while social distancing. Some tips for success are listed below:
1. Instructions: Read the host instructions for the traditional party and then continue to review steps listed here.
2. Clues: Copy/paste the clues to each participant via email. You can provide this all at once by emailing them all 3 rounds of clues, or you can take breaks between rounds to email the next set of clues. The most ideal way is to email them between rounds (that way the killer will not know s/he is the killer, and the victim won’t know that s/he is the victim until the correct time).
3. Pacing the Rounds: This may be the most difficult part of the virtual party. A traditional party lasts 2 hours, and the virtual party may move a bit quicker since everyone will hear the clues/verbal exchanges all at once. The host needs to ensure that guests have had enough time to give all the clues and discuss them prior to moving to the next round.
4. The Murder: This occurs at the end of Round 2. The victim will be prompted to ask the host for the special materials (a sign indicating they are now a ghost and a weapon). You can forgo this part, and simply have the victim act out the death on camera. At the beginning of round 2, when guests are reading the clues, the host can state that the victim should wait until the end of the round (about 30 minutes) before acting out the death and that there are no special materials for the virtual party.
5. Investigative Sheets: During a traditional party, guests fill out the sheets with their guess as to who did it, why, and how. You can email this form and have guests email it back, or you can have guests verbally guess after Round 2 is completed.
6. Props/Costumes: Costumes are encouraged to enhance the fun! Props are not required.